UPDATE: Body Found in Reisterstown Ruled a Suicide
The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner has determined that the death of Darnell William Butler was a suicide.
UPDATED (1:45 p.m.)— The death of a Baltimore man whose body was found in Reisterstown Saturday was ruled a suicide by the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner.
Police found the body of Darnell William Butler, 24, of the 3800 block of Ferndale Avenue, at 11:30 a.m. Saturday in a wooded area near the intersection of Hanover Pike and Butler Road. A handgun was recovered at the scene, and the cause of death was determined to be a gunshot wound, according to a Baltimore County Police press release.
The body was found in multiple pieces from "animal activity," according to Bruce Goldfarb, spokesman for the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner.
Police expanded their investigation in the Reisterstown area after a human hand was found by a landscaper in the 300 block of HedgePocket Way in Reisterstown Wednesday morning, approximately a quarter-mile from where the body was later found. The hand was later determined to belong to Butler, who was missing since Sept. 17.
Police believe Butler died in September, said Cpl. Cathleen Batton, a Baltimore County Police spokeswoman.
- Wednesday, Nov. 14 » A landscaper working in the 300 block of HedgePocket Way told police that he found what is believed to be the remains of a human hand.
- Thursday, Nov. 15 » The Chief Medical Examiner's Office determined it was a human hand, prompting police to expand its investigation in the Reisterstown area.
- 11:30 a.m. on Nov. 17 » Investigators find the body of an unidentified man near where the human hand was found in the Hanover Pike/Butler Road area.
- Sunday evening » Police identify the deceased as Darnell William Butler, a 24-year-old from Baltimore.
- Monday, Nov. 19 17 » The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner determines the cause of death to be suicide by gunshot.
- Police Confirm Human Hand Found in Reisterstown
- Police: Reisterstown Landscaper Possibly Finds Human Hand
- Police Investigating Human Body Found in Baltimore County
- Police Identify Man Found in Reisterstown
Lutherville-Timonium Patch Editor Nick DiMarco contributed to this report.