Hutzler's Trades In
New feature examines local history
Department store chain Hutzler's, a true Baltimore original, opened its location in Towson in 1952. It was the place to go for families for nearly 40 years. But social change and competition from other chains—especially in Towson as Towson Town Center grew next door—soon doomed Hutzler's.
The store was the chain's last to close in 1990 and the building stayed mostly dormant for the next decade until popular anchors like Trader Joe's, Pier 1 Imports and Barnes and Noble moved in.
Thanks to the Baltimore County Public Library for helping us find these photos and make this great new feature happen!