Although the holiday's origins are unknown, a Florida man who founded the International Middle Child Union is calling for a global strike to encourage "middle children everywhere to raise awareness (if anyone notices) on social media," according to MSN, citing the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.
Bruce Hopman is the only member of his union so far, but he told the paper he just wants people to use the hashtag #midkidstrike on social media.
His blog will offer online greeting cards to remind the middle children "that you're kind of thinking of them that day," Hopman said in the Sun-Sentinel.
And if you aren't a middle child yourself, you probably know of at least one. There are 70 million middle children in the country, according to Daily Mail, but do all of them feel the negative stereotypes associated with being a middle child?
Parenting magazine Babble.com listed 10 ways you know you're a middle child, including:
- Your parents didn't pay enough attention to you,
- All your clothes were hand-me-downs,
- Your older sibling got recognized for EVERYTHING,
- Your younger sibling got away with EVERYTHING,
- You got blamed for EVERYTHING,
- You never got a new bike,
- And more.