Accused 'Toilet Bomber' to Stand Trial Tuesday

Long-delayed trial for Duane G. Davis will center on whether the toilets were art or a threat.

After several delays, the man accused of leaving a toilet that set off a February bomb scare in downtown Towson is scheduled to stand trial Tuesday.

Baltimore resident Duane G. Davis admits to on Washington Avenue outside the on Feb. 6. Attached, he left a cell phone, radio and a petition asking officials to persuade Illinois officials to reexamine the death of his son, Gerrell, who was killed during a botched robbery in Zion, IL in 2006.

When a county maintenance worker found the toilet on Feb. 7, police were called, including bomb squad technicians and a helicopter, to make sure the device was safe. Because of the scare, police shut down streets around the courthouse for several hours that morning.

Davis, 51, —making a false statement of a destructive device and planting a phony explosive device.

, however, that officials had no reason to suspect the device was anything other than what it was—a toilet. He claimed the toilet was a public statement, not a threat.

Several other toilets were placed around town by Davis, including outside Baltimore City Public Schools headquarters. Davis expressed disbelief that it took a day for the toilet in Towson to raise alarms.

"What happened on Sunday to make it a bomb threat on Monday?" Davis said in an interview with Patch in June.

Davis maintains YouTube and Facebook pages where he asserts his views, and his toilets make an appearance in one video.

After his arrest in February, Davis was initially held without bail and ordered to undergo a mental evaluation at Spring Grove Hospital Center in Catonsville.

At one point, Davis wanted his pro bono attorney Thomas Saunders to call a list of witness that included Gov. Martin O'Malley, State's Attorney Scott Shellenberger and members of the Illinois and Maryland congressional delegations.

During a June court proceeding, and opted for a public defender.

If convicted, Davis could face up to 10 years in prison and a $10,000 fine for each felony count.

Robert Armstrong September 12, 2011 at 09:49 PM
The scary thing is that the County Bomb Squad doesn't know the difference between an explosive device and a toilet.
Tyler Waldman September 12, 2011 at 10:01 PM
What made the difference, I recall from my reporting, was the cell phone and the radio attached to it.
Robert Armstrong September 12, 2011 at 10:16 PM
C'mon even so.......... We spend a lot of money on training these guys. It's a toilet for Chrissakes. They sit on one every day! Maybe twice on Monnday!
Robert Armstrong September 14, 2011 at 03:28 PM
Looks like they kicked it up to the Circuit Court. I wonder if when this is all said and done they will give him his toilet back.
Tyler Waldman September 14, 2011 at 03:29 PM
I was in the courtroom yesterday. The trial is still going on.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something