Suspect in His Own Grandparents' Homicides Still in OK

The following information was supplied by the Baltimore County Police Department, the Weatherford Police Department in Oklahoma and the Oklahoma County Sheriff's Office. In cases where a criminal charge is noted, the information provided does not i

Matthew Long, the Pikesville man who police suspect of killing his grandparents with dumbells and a knife, is still in Oklahoma.

According to the Oklahoma County Sheriff's Office, Long is still in custody, awaiting extradition to Baltimore County.

On Friday, the sheriff's office released a mugshot of Long.

He was charged this week with two counts of first-degree murder in the suspicious deaths of his elderly grandparents, Vaughn and Marjorie Pepper of Sudbrook Park.

Long had been living with his grandparents for years, neighbors state.

On Sept. 10, police from the Pikesville precinct found the Peppers dead of blunt-force and sharp-force trauma in their Olmstead Road home.

Police believe they died Sept. 8.

Police in Oklahoma say Long drove his grandparents' car to a motel in Weatherford on Sept. 9, paid for two days stay, but didn't check out on time.

Police from the Weatherford Police Department found Long on Sept. 11, unresponsive in his motel room, in 'an apparent attempted suicide,' according to Capt. Todd Doyals. Long left a note that said 'I'm so sorry for everything. Please forgive me.'

Long was hospitalized in an Oklahoma City hospital. When he recovered, the Oklahoma City Police Department homicide detectives arrested him on a Baltimore County warrant charging him with two counts of first-degree homicide, according to Capt. Dexter Nelson of the department.

He was then transferred to the custody of the Oklahoma County Sheriff, where he remains in custody, Nelson said Friday.

Read more about the homicide investigation:

Harry Callahan September 21, 2012 at 08:54 PM
There must be much more to this story than what we have heard so far. Why would his grandparents allow a grown man to live with them for years unless he was disabled and needed help, of if they were disabled and he was a care giver? If he was able to work but simply decided that working wasn't for him, then the grand parents didn't do him any favors by enabling his behavior.
Janet Metzner September 21, 2012 at 09:51 PM
Neighbors have said he lived with his grandparents since his parents died. There's also speculation about his having other issues, but nothing is confirmed. You're right, there's more to be discovered, I believe.
Buzz Beeler September 22, 2012 at 02:14 AM
Now he has nothing.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »