Suspect in Custody After Two-Day Manhunt Spans Baltimore And Harford Counties


Credit: Elizabeth Janney/Patch

COCKEYSVILLE - The suspect who shot two Baltimore County officers, closed over a dozen area schools, and led police on a more than two-day chase is in custody, according to the Harford County Sheriff's Office.


24-year-old David Emory Linthicum is accused of shooting one officer during a call for a "person in crisis" and another during the ensuing manhunt that spanned Baltimore and Harford Counties.


Online Court records show that Linthicum has been charged with two counts of attempted first-degree murder, two counts of assault, and other firearm violations. He is currently scheduled for a bail review on February 13 and a preliminary hearing on March 10.

What happened?

According to Officials, Baltimore County Police responded to a call of a "person in crisis" in the area of Powers Avenue in Cockeysville at about 2:30 p.m. on Wednesday.

Upon arriving at the home, family members escorted the officers to 24-year-old David Emory Linthicum.

During the interaction between police and Linthicum, one of the officers was shot, according to Baltimore County Police spokesperson Joy Stewart.

That officer was released from the hospital on Wednesday night and is in "good spirits," Baltimore County Police said.

A barricade situation followed the shooting, which caused a shelter-in-place order to be issued for the area of Powers Avenue.

Eight Baltimore County Schools were closed as a result of the incident.

As the manhunt continued into Thursday, police searched the entire Cockeysville area for the suspect.

The home where police initially found Linthicum is the same home where Nicholas Browning admitted to killing his father, mother, and two younger brothers in 2008, CBS News Reports.

Around noon, police spokesperson Joy Stewart said that the Harford County, Howard County, and Carrol County police departments had joined the investigation.

Around 9:15 on Thursday night, police issued a shelter-in-place order in the area between Powers Road and Warren Road, tweeting, "The wanted suspect has been spotted in the area."

According to Joy Stewart, a Baltimore County detective encountered Linthicum in the area of Warren and Bosley roads. When the detective tried to engage with the suspect, they pulled out a rifle, and began shooting at the detective, striking him "multiple times."

The injured detective was transported by helicopter to a shock trauma center in Baltimore, where he remains in critical condition, according to officials. 

Baltimore County Police Chief Dennis Delp said that the suspect stole the detective's car after the shooting and fled from Cockeysville to Fallston. The suspect's stolen vehicle was disabled in the Fallston area by a police spike strip.

Delp said Linthicum tried to drive on the damaged wheels before bailing out of the vehicle and running into the woods.

Around 1:30 a.m., The Harford County Sheriff's office tweeted that the suspect was surrounded in a wooded area of Fallston.

Harford County Sheriff Jeff Gahler said that Police used loudspeakers and other "less-than-lethal" tactics in an attempt to get Linthicum to come out of the woods with his hands up.

The standoff in Fallston lasted more than eight hours, according to Gahler.

At 5:46 a.m., The Harford Sheriff tweeted that the suspect was in custody.

Harford County Schools in the Fallston area were closed on Friday due to the incident.

More News from Towson
I'm interested
I disagree with this
This is unverified