Plans To Extend NCR Trail Move Forward, Feasibility Study Releases Initial Findings
TOWSON - Going from Hunt Valley to Timonium is less than a six-mile trip, but most residents are hesitant to walk or bike along the main roads that connect these communities.
York Road and the surrounding streets are dangerous for cyclists; fearing for their safety, many residents who would rather ride their bicycles ultimately use their cars instead.
A new Baltimore County Project aims to address this issue. A feasibility study is underway to examine the possibility of extending the NCR Trail through Cockeysville, Timonium, Lutherville, and Towson.
The study was initiated in September of 2022 and is expected to run through the fall of 2023. According to the county, It will cost an estimated $150,000, with 80% covered by state funding and the remaining 20% from the county.
On March 22, the county held an open house meeting to present the study's initial findings to extend the existing Torrey C. Brown/NCR Trail south to the existing trail network around Lake Roland Park.
At the meeting, engineering contractor Johnson, Mirmiran & Thompson Inc. (JMT) presented potential alignments for the trail extension.
Baltimore County is requesting public input on the maps. Nobody knows which roads are safest better than residents. If you know an area well, the county asks that respondents specify which proposed route they feel is best and provide suggestions for improving the trail. Questions and suggestions can be sent to the Baltimore County Pedestrian and Bicycle Advisory Committee.
The Maryland chapter of the Sierra Club has also launched a petition to raise awareness and build community support for the project.
A selection of the preferred alignment for the trail is expected to take place later this month, with another public workshop scheduled for September.
If all goes according to plan, JMT is anticipated to submit a final conceptual design report in November.
More News from Towson
- Bird Flu Case Detected In MD, Farmers Warned About Contagious Disease A bird flu case was detected in a Maryland backyard flock. Officials warned farmers about the highly contagious disease.
- Deceased Government Employee ID’d After Death In Annapolis Office: Officials The state government employee who died in an Annapolis office was identified. The 36-year-old woman was from Baltimore County.