15 Shawe Rosenthal Attorneys Recognized by 2023 Maryland Super Lawyers
Twelve partners at Baltimore-based employment and labor law firm Shawe Rosenthal LLP have been named to the 2023 Maryland Super Lawyers list. In addition, three Shawe Rosenthal associates have been recognized as 2022 Maryland Rising Stars by Super Lawyers.
“The title of a Super Lawyer or a Rising Star indicates that a lawyer has earned the respect of both their colleagues and the public,” says Shawe Rosenthal Co-Managing Partner Gary L. Simpler.
A national rating service honoring outstanding lawyers in more than 70 practice areas, Super Lawyers uses a patented selection process that includes independent research, peer nominations, and peer evaluations to recognize attorneys who have reached high achievements and standards within their respective fields, and a high degree of peer recognition.
The Super Lawyers list recognizes no more than five percent of attorneys in each state, while the list of Rising Stars – attorneys who are either 40 years old or younger or in practice for 10 years or less – honors no more than 2.5 percent of attorneys in each state. Maryland lawyers who receive the highest point totals during this selection process are further recognized in Maryland Super Lawyers Top Lists.
Five partners at Shawe Rosenthal were named 2023 Maryland Super Lawyers in the “Employment Litigation: Defense” practice area:
- Bruce S. Harrison, who handles complex class action litigation and defends employers in high-risk discrimination claims;
- Eric Hemmendinger, who represents management in employment law litigation, including class actions and jury trials, and in traditional labor law;
- Teresa D. Teare, who represents companies in employment-related litigation and counsels management on human resources issues;
- Parker E. Thoeni, who represents management in employment litigation and administrative proceedings and provides advice and counsel to employers regarding personnel matters; and
- Elizabeth Torphy-Donzella, who defends employers in cases involving employment discrimination, harassment, contracts, and torts, and provides human resources counseling.
- Darryl G. McCallum, who concentrates on employment law matters, including the defense of race, sex, and other discrimination suits;
- J. Michael McGuire, who represents management before the NLRB, negotiating collective bargaining agreements and arbitrating labor and employment disputes;
- Fiona W. Ong, who defends employers in the areas of employment discrimination, torts, and contracts, and provides advice and counsel to human resources;
- Co-Managing Partner Stephen D. Shawe, who represents clients in labor and employment matters with a concentration in the retail and manufacturing industries;
- Co-Managing Partner Gary L. Simpler, who is well-known for his experience working with employers in the healthcare and manufacturing sectors;
- Mark J. Swerdlin, who has extensive experience defending employers in discrimination claims and representing management in labor matters; and
- Lindsey A. White, who works closely with employers to prevent and defend employment law claims.
In addition, seven Shawe Rosenthal partners were recognized in the “Employment and Labor” practice area of the 2023 Maryland Super Lawyers list:
Three Shawe Rosenthal associates were named 2023 Maryland Rising Stars in the Employment and Labor practice area – Courtney B. Amelung, Paul D. Burgin, and
Veronica Yu Welsh – all of whom represent employers in a wide range of labor and employment matters in court and before federal and state agencies, and prepare and revise employee handbooks, personnel policies, and employment agreements.
Super Lawyers Magazine features the list and profiles of selected attorneys and is distributed to attorneys in their state or region and ABA-accredited law school libraries. Super Lawyers is also published as a special section in leading city and regional magazines across the country. Lawyers are selected to a Super Lawyers list in all 50 states and Washington, D.C.
About Shawe Rosenthal LLP (http://www.shawe.com/)
Shawe Rosenthal LLP has a national reputation as management’s workplace lawyers. Shawe Rosenthal represents and advises management in employment and labor law matters. The firm’s clients range from Fortune 100 companies to smaller businesses and non-profits in a wide range of industries. Its practice includes both litigation and preventive measures. Shawe Rosenthal’s tenacious, results-oriented approach produces results in the courtroom, respect in agency proceedings, and sound, proactive guidance in workplace policy.